Tuesday, June 2, 2009

“I AM”

My daughter wrote an “I Am” poem for an assignment for her summer college class. I thought hers was amazing. She found it a fun and enlightening exercise, and encouraged others to try it as well, and so I did. Like most guys I suppose, I am not much for self exploration and certainly not big on letting others see into my soul, but I have always known that God called me to write “The Watchman Chronicles” more for my benefit than for yours. With that in mind and at God’s prompting, I will reluctantly share with you my “I Am” poem, in hopes that it will encourage you to do some self exploration of your own. To write your own “I Am” poem, just take the first two words from each line and fill in your own ending. It can be just for fun, or you can make it into a spiritual exercise. If you choose the latter, say a prayer as you begin each line that God will help you find the truth of what is buried in your soul, not just who you “think” you are, or who you “think” you should be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Am

I Am a quiet, even tempered, passive servant in the flesh, but I am a king and warrior and a rebel in my Spirit!

I Wonder what my life would look like if I fully knew and did Gods will?

I Hear God’s heart weeping over the broken and over my apathy to them.

I See a world full of lost, lonely, and hurting people desperately searching for the answer to their pain.

I Want to be like Jesus, but as Todd Agnew sings, “I'm no sure what that means?”

I Am a quiet, even tempered, passive servant in the flesh, but I am a king and warrior and a rebel in my Spirit!


I Pretend because that is what people want, rather than the truth.

I Feel lost, lonely, and insignificant sometimes, and what I desire and have to say aren’t important.

I Touch God when I love His children.

I Worry my faith won’t work and that it won’t be strong enough, “in the day of trouble.”

I Cry for young people whose lives are being destroyed by Satan’s deceptions.

I Am a quiet, even tempered, passive servant in the flesh, but I am a king and warrior and a rebel in my Spirit!


I Understand that the Bible is God’s infallible Word and will, and that everything it says is true, even when I don’t comprehend it.

I Say what God teaches me, in order to encourage others in their walk with God.

I Dream of a day when my will for me will be fully the same as God’s will for me.

I Try too hard and think too much.

I Hope my life will make a positive difference for the Kingdom of God.

I Am a quiet, even tempered, passive servant in the flesh, but I am a king and warrior and a rebel in my Spirit!

No comments: